As the title reflects, I feel I have been Chasing Rainbows to no avail. I needed someplace or thing to make me feel more grounded and accountable. Somewhere I can record my plans and efforts as I work towards meeting goals of increasing my Polymer Clay knowledge, skills, and abilities while working towards a healthier me, in mind, body, and soul. A place that reminds me that everything has the possibility to improve with effort (I might even catch part of one of those Rainbows, someday).

Extruder Workout

Posted by Sue C | Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 | Posted in

Hi, what a day, I've been giving that PCExpress cordless extruder quite a workout today.  I've gotten 7 eye cane sets extruded and put together, I only have 4 or 5 left to go, and then my least favorite part of cane making begins, reduction.  Hmmm, that word gives me problems all over the place, I personally need to reduce, too, reduce weight, reduce inches, reduce clutter, I could go on and on, but I'd really rather not, LOL.

Here's a sneak peek of what my clay desk looks like right now:

I've tried a bunch of variations of my usual method, so we'll see what works best for the most interesting eyes.   Of course, by the time I get them down to pin head size, I suppose it doesn't really matter, but if someone wanted them for larger dolls or animals, they'll be really interesting.

The extruder worked out very well.  A little slower than I'd like, but lots faster and easier than cranking them out by hand, LOL.  I have extruded most of the day without recharging the battery, so I'm pleased with that.

I did have a couple of things that I wasn't very pleased about, today.  My old cordless computer keyboard and mouse weren't working well before we did the upgrade, but after we did the upgrade they were even worse, so I hooked up a corded keyboard we had purchased awhile back and got a corded mouse.  My not so wonderful puppy today (or maybe yesterday or even the past several days, LOL) has been launching sneak attacks on the keyboard cord, naughty puppy!!!  It's not quite all the way chewed through yet, but enough that I ordered a new cordless keyboard and mouse today.

I'm also not pleased with myself about something and I'm not sure how to find a compromise.  I decided I needed to be more active on the few groups I belong to, rather than just lurking all the time.  I followed through on that goal today, but then I got 'caught up' in the internet, blogs, this link to that link, etc. and I didn't get off the computer until noon.  How can I compromise my goal of being more involved and yet not get sidetracked?  I'm sure other people have this problem, how do you solve it?

Otherwise it was a beautiful day, in the mid 30s F with the sun shining.  Except for the cord problem, Snuffles and I had a wonderful day, we played and cuddled, and she used her litter box consistently.  I got everything done I needed to get done, and even with the distraction of the internet I got 7 of my eye canes ready to reduce.  All in all, it was a good day, and now it's nearly bedtime, so I'll toddle off to dreamland and wish you all a good night!

Comments (4)

frustrated that i can't move the pic around to see the rest of your table and your studio! you have to do a video and give us a tour!!! crazy canes! and your giveaway item could be a piece of one of your canes reduced ~ just a hint ...

In one of my previous posts I took pictures of my whole table, both ends and the middle. I also have 6 ft tall double doored storage cabinets, 2 are all clay related, the 3rd is general crafts. Then I have an overflow cabinet that has things I eventually plan to use or make or cover with clay. All my sewing/quilting stuff is in another room.

i saw those ~ i check your blog daily! am totally enchanted with your story telling and look forward to the pics each day ... was wondering if there were more canes at the other end of the table yesterday ... and i love to see how other clayers with a lot of "stuff" manage to store it all, including the work in progress, the work on hold, etc. think you should put video camera on your wish list! then you could show off your studio and post instructional videos on youtube. based on your writing, the video should be fantastic! ... aren't i the trouble-maker!! and thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks, I suspect I'm too easily distracted to do a video, I think, but it's an idea. We have a video camera and except to test it haven't ever used it, LOL. By training, and inclination, I'm a teacher, but I need to come up with "my own voice" before I feel comfortable teaching anything, except for small groups, like on Clay Play Days. Thanks for the compliments, though. Smiles

Post a Comment